AFG vs SL Match Prediction | ICC WC 2023
Preview of the Match:
Afghanistan will meet Sri Lanka in the 30th match of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 on Monday at the Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium in Pune.
Afghanistan is currently in the bottom half of the league table, having won only two of five matches. Captain Hashmatullah Shahidi will be hoping that the team can keep winning against the Islanders.
The upcoming clash between Afghanistan and Sri Lanka in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 promises to be an exciting encounter as both teams look to secure a crucial win in their campaign. The match will be held at the Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium in Pune, offering a great setting for cricket enthusiasts. The weather forecast indicates sunny conditions with 35% humidity, suggesting favorable conditions for a competitive game.
Afghanistan’s Current Standing:
As of now, Afghanistan finds itself in the bottom half of the league table with two wins out of five matches. Captain Hashmatullah Shahidi will be hoping to rally his team to keep their winning momentum alive against Sri Lanka. Afghanistan’s journey in the tournament has seen some standout performances that offer hope for the upcoming game.
Key Players for Afghanistan:
1. Rahmanullah Gurbaz and Ibrahim Zadran (Openers): The team’s batting lineup will be led by these in-form openers who have been consistent contributors with the bat. In their previous match, Zadran scored 87 runs off 113 balls, while Gurbaz provided solid support with 65 runs off 53 balls.
2. Rahmat Shah: An experienced player, Rahmat Shah found form with the bat, scoring an unbeaten 77 off 84 balls. His contribution has been significant in Afghanistan’s batting department.
3. Hashmatullah Shahidi (Captain): The skipper has been a reliable presence, and in the previous match, he made 48 off 45 balls. His leadership and batting prowess will be vital for Afghanistan’s chances.
In the bowling department, Afghanistan will rely on a combination of spin and pace. Players like Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, and Naveen Ul Haq have been instrumental in making timely breakthroughs. Noor Ahmad, a left-arm chinaman, made an impact in his first World Cup match, taking three wickets.
Predicted XI for Afghanistan:
– Hashmatullah Shahidi (c)
– Azmatullah Omarzai
– Rahmanullah Gurbaz
– Ibrahim Zadran
– Rahmat Shah
– Ikram Alikhil (wk)
– Mohammad Nabi
– Rashid Khan
– Mujeeb Ur Rahman
– Noor Ahmad
Sri Lanka’s Recent Performance:
On the other hand, Sri Lanka is coming off a morale-boosting victory against England, with standout performances from players like Lahiru Kumara, Pathum Nissanka, and Sadeera Samarawickrama. This win has kept Sri Lanka’s playoff prospects alive, injecting new energy and optimism into the team.
Key Players for Sri Lanka:
1. Kusal Perera (Opener): An experienced opener, Kusal Perera, will play a crucial role in providing a strong start at the top of the order.
2. Kusal Mendis (Captain): As the captain, Kusal Mendis holds the responsibility of leading the team from the front and contributing significantly with the bat.
3. Pathum Nissanka: In the previous match against England, Nissanka played brilliantly, scoring 77 not out off 83 balls. His ability to anchor the innings will be vital for Sri Lanka.
4. Sadeera Samarawickrama: Samarawickrama provided excellent support to Nissanka, scoring 65 not out off 54 balls. His form will be key for Sri Lanka’s middle order.
Sri Lanka’s bowling department has shown promise, with players like Lahiru Kumara, Kasun Rajitha, and Angelo Matthews making timely breakthroughs. In the previous encounter, Kumara was the standout bowler, grabbing three wickets.
Predicted XI for Sri Lanka:
– Sadeera Samarawickrama
– Pathum Nissanka
– Kusal Perera
– Charith Asalanka
– Dhananjaya de Silva
– Angelo Mathews
– Maheesh Theekshana
– Kasun Rajitha
– Lahiru Kumara
– Dilshan Madushanka
– Kusal Mendis (c & wk)
Weather and Pitch Conditions:
The conditions at the Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium in Pune are expected to favor the batsmen. The pitch is likely to be prepared to offer a good batting surface, and spinners will play a critical role in determining the match’s outcome. The average first innings score at this venue is around 300 runs, making it important for both teams to win the toss, bat first, and set a competitive total.
The outcome of this match is highly anticipated, and both Afghanistan and Sri Lanka have reasons to be optimistic. Afghanistan’s recent form, with standout performers like Noor Ahmad, Ibrahim Zadran, Rahmanullah Gurbaz, and Rashid Khan, suggests they have a good chance of securing a victory. On the other hand, Sri Lanka’s experience and their recent win against England have boosted their confidence, making them strong contenders.
In this crucial encounter, it will come down to how well each team executes its game plan and capitalizes on their strengths. The fans can look forward to an exciting contest between these two teams as they battle for a much-needed win in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023.